Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Blue Skies and Tailwinds

Today we put away our rain gear, our cold weather clothes, and our shower caps and we changed to sunscreen and bug repellent. The weather was fantastic!! We started the day on roads that were cool and green and shady. Maine may not get the reward for having the most pot holes but it will win for having the biggest and deepest! Riding in the shade you had to be really careful you didn't fall into one! It is like skiing a slalom course and at the same time watching out for cars.
The Maine countryside invites you to swim in a lake, throw out a line, row a boat, hike a green trail, or get on a bike and ride some beautiful rolling scenic hills. It looks like a perfect place to vacation but I wouldn't want to live here in the winter! Many homes have little shacks where the kids wait for the school bus so they don't freeze to death! Lakes are all around and I'm sure they are frozen over in the winter.
We rode by some rivers-the Androscoggen, which had a bike path which we pedaled and the Kinnebec, which our motel overlooks.
School is out finally and you can tell by the noises coming out of the yards and the swimming areas on the lakes that are full of happy kids. The water must be freezing!
Maine is a beautiful state and I still can't believe we are here. Tomorrow we ride 86 miles into Buckport. It will be our last long challenging day. Our final day is a short one into Bar Harbor.
I am starting to dream of my own bed, not living out of a suit case, sleeping in, eating breakfast sitting down, and seeing my dear friends back home. It has been a long journey but a most fantastic one. I will have some wonderful stories to share about the people I have met and the places I have seen. I'm also looking forward to not having to pound on my iPad keys every night and just go to sleep! I do hope you have been enjoying hearing about my adventure as much as I have enjoyed riding it.
Must go to sleep now-86 miles tomorrow.
No flats today......Donna

Sent from Donna's iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment