Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blue Skies and Tailwinds, June 12


I am still singing all the oldies we heard yesterday in the R&R Hall of Fame.  Singing out loud-which I do often- helps you pedal the miles away.
 It was supposed to be a sunny day but somebody goofed.  Overcast skies and too cool temps were on order. If you were a sailor this was an ideal day to be on Lake Erie. There were winds and whitecaps. Beautiful to look at but I was glad I was on my bike and not trying to catch a wave!!
 We rode along the lake for most of the ride. At times I thought I was in Woodside. Large, beeeeeutiful homes!  Must be a lot of rich people on our route.  We also saw a lot of large beeeeeeeutiful homes on our way into Cleveland.  Most of the ride today was through towns which  were all very quiet because every thing is closed here on Sundays!  Sadly as we ride we can see the signs of our poor economy. Many stores, shops, etc. are closed, for sale, for rent, or going out of business.  Makes me realize how lucky I am to be where I am and to be able to do the things I want to do.
  The roads today were awful!!  Pot holes galore! It's hard to view the scenery around you if you are looking down and worrying what your front wheel might hit!  You have to be careful steering around them in fear of being hit by a Sunday afternoon driver zooming by! Some of the roads had very little shoulder so it was a tense ride at times.
 We rode up the Avenue of  500 flags.  Each flag represents a military person lost in a war and has been dedicated by someone. Beautiful to see but sad to see.  So many towns we have been through have similar memorials.  We still see many American flags all over.  I love it!
 Bev, Bettye and I rode together today. We had a wonderful ride and are looking forward to seeing many new sights tomorrow.
  We are now going to dinner to see what out new cook is up to. I'm sure it will be delicious after 58 miles.
DQ

No comments:

Post a Comment