Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blue Skies and Tailwinds

Hi everybody,
92 miles today of a fantastic ride. We left Erie, PA on a chilly and rainy am. Our route took us through neighborhoods near the lake. What fantastic homes we saw! There are still some pretty well to do people living in the USA. Large, old, historic homes with large well cared for lawns. No cars in sight. They actually use their garages for storing their cars!!
Erie- the city- was full of old magnificent buildings. The kind you see in history books. We rode in a group of 6 in and out of city streets-fun!
A few miles out of Erie we rode our last miles in PA. We then entered New York. I may live in California but I was born, grew up, was educated , taught my first 4 years , and left many memories and good friends here in NY. I am so looking forward to the next 7 days when we pedal through familiar territory.
At times this morn I thought I was in Napa., There were vineyards and wineries galore all along Lake Erie. Too early to stop and too many more miles to travel. The route we traveled took us along the lake all day. Wide shoulder, rolling hills and smooth pavement. Lots of farms- corn, tree farms, cherries, and not much traffic. Many homes with nautical themes. Many semis were on the route but they move way over and were not a worry.
Getting closer to Hamburg we experienced the biggest and deepest pot holes of the trip! It was commute time so we practiced our circus skills trying to ride a straight line on the skinny shoulder without landing in one of the holes! We all made it.
New York is a most scenic state and I'm so glad to be sharing it with a wonderful group of cyclists.
Tomorrow- Canada and Niagara Falls. Glad I remembered my passport!
No DQ today-too cold and besides I couldn't find one!
Donna


Sent from Donna's iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment